SEO | Link Popularity | Search Engine Consulting | SEO Tutorial | SEO Tools | SEO Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2005, 05:15 PM
MCP Media

Cool What the hell is wrong with Google lately?

I have seen a lot of sites with a lot of work put into them getting killed in the SERPs lately... and I am seeing lots of old crappy sites ranking better too....

Google seems to be turning the knob up on the sandbox, maybe holding links longer, or discounting links more... either way I don't think it is helping them as much as it is hurting. The whole SEO SEM community is buzzing latey about how much Google sucks and how much better Yahoo and MSN are.

If Google doesn't get their shit together, they are going to run themselves out of the top because of user dissatisfaction, and basically hand the crown to MSN and Y.

I think the more they try to fix the "problem", the more they are pissing people off. Furthermore, the users they are pissing off are the exact wrong demographic if they plan to dominate the search market.

Google should probably weight the advice of the people they listen to similar to the way they weight links. The ones with authority should count more than the average old joe blow complaining about crappy results. I know they are trying to fix the problem of search engine spam, but the way they are going about it is going to hurt them from the top down.

Last edited by Arizona Web : 01-22-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:29 PM

Posts: 5,158 jocelyn has a spectacular aura aboutjocelyn has a spectacular aura aboutjocelyn has a spectacular aura about
After living the Florida update, seeing the trash they had for months, and people still loved them, the users will not change their habbits for slight changes like this. I say slight because Florida was really crap... big big crap...

Even MSN will have a hard time kicking them down their pedestal, because Google is burned in the peoples brain like if it was on a ROM (Read Only Memory).

You notice that results are crappier, but the little guy searching for a widget, does not analyse the search results like we do.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:38 PM
MCP Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyn
After living the Florida update, seeing the trash they had for months, and people still loved them, the users will not change their habbits for slight changes like this. I say slight because Florida was really crap... big big crap...

Even MSN will have a hard time kicking them down their pedestal, because Google is burned in the peoples brain like if it was on a ROM (Read Only Memory).

You notice that results are crappier, but the little guy searching for a widget, does not analyse the search results like we do.
I hear ya, but I have been reading things that say users are changing their habits... bit by bit Google *is* losing ground.

I for one find myself searching other engines more, and I think others are doing the same.

When MSN burns their search into people's OS, Google is going to have a tough time keeping their top spot... and for a guy who is almost anti-empire, I am surprised to hear myself say I am happy to see it (I hope that doesn't come to bite me in the ass)
Old 01-23-2005, 02:31 AM
SEO

dont know... the only ppl grumbling seem to be the seo community. The ordinary folks (end users) are still happily googling away and couldnt care less about serps, updates, PRs etc.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:44 AM
SEO

Agreed Guybrush. Again, I've said it before....I doubt they are playing pacman on the beach, although they have gone skiing actually!

Search Science
Old 01-23-2005, 04:00 PM
MCP Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by xan
Agreed Guybrush. Again, I've said it before....I doubt they are playing pacman on the beach, although they have gone skiing actually!
lol - maybe I am slow, but I have no idea what that statement meant!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:35 PM
SEO Junior

I'm so upset by Google right now. I started a new blog last week and MSN and Yahoo picked it up....nothing from Google yet.

Geez, how slow is Google running these days? It's as if Google has said, no we don't care about new content. Let's move the sandbox back a few more months, that will make the pubic happy
Old 01-26-2005, 09:24 AM
SEO Junior and a half

yahoo slurp and msn bot have been more active than googlebot lately. google may have too many pages to process.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Web Design Pro

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan -- Soon to be San Diego Beach Front
Send a message via AIM to wyrickj Send a message via MSN to wyrickj
Let me tell you I really really think MSN will take over Google because Bill and the whole Microsoft family have so much money power that they really could kill Google. And I hope they do. MSN is being a good boy for me while Google (Puts me in to a stupid filter) and I have top places in MSN.

Google's ways of beating spam sucks. Why take good sites and put them in the trash for 8 months?????

Alcohol Myspace Layouts
Old 01-26-2005, 12:06 PM
SEO

Quote:
MSN is being a good boy

only till the time they kick google off the top spot and take control of yet another aspect of our lives.